Smart Fortwo Engine repair

003_Engine_Bay

My poor Smart Fortwo ate oil. A lot. I wont be wrong if I say 2 litres for a 1000km. It is a common mode of failure with these cars. One little plastic valve breaks and eventually your engine is busted. That, of course if you dont know it is broken. Oil rings get stuck and engine starts to consume oil.

When buying my Smart, I knew it consumed oil. I drove happily with it one Summer and when Winter came, I thought that I should do something to it. Of course problem had escalated. The exhaust manifold had  cracked, turbo gone beyond repair, etc..

002_Exhaust_Broken

Cracked turbo manifold. Some of you maybe spotted also that the wastegate actuator retaining circlip is missing.

005_Engine_top

Cylinder head, still in the engine.

006_Another_Part

A big lower block from the engine. In order to remove connecting rods from the crankshaft, this had to be removed. If those two grey plates in the center of the block was open, removing of the block was not needed. From the internet one can find that somebody slized those plates away when block was still in the engine. I did not had the courage to do that.. I also hesitated to do that when part was out. Maybe those plates has something to do with engine rigidity. So they left untouched.

006a_Down_Under

Engine from underneath, after removing that block. Crankshaft and connecting rods can be nicely seen.

014a_Piston_fitting

In the middel of engine stripping process.

007_Cause_Of_Trouble

Sympton of the disease. Stucked piston oil ring.

008_dirt.jpg

Dirt in the piston grooves.

006b_Pistons

008a_Polished

I put new piston and oil rings in. Before that I naturally cleaned pistons and grooves.

016_Piece_Of_Mind

Cleaned pistons and new rings inside cylinder block. Arrow is pointing right when watching to front from the back of the car.

013_fitting_pieces.jpg

Because engine was open, I took the opportunity to change chains, slides, chain tensioners and sprockets for timing and oil pump. I also fitted a new oil pump.

011b_Oil_Pump-Old_And_New

New and old oil pump side By side.

012_New_Stuff_In

A new oil pump in it’s chamber. (Btw, changing it was a waste of money, it had not wear at all.)

011a_Old_New

When putting on new oil pump’s sprockets I found out that old and new sprockets were different in size. I figured out that with new sprockets oil pump’s shaft was going to rotate a bit faster than before. New parts are in the lower part of the pic. The rightmost part goes in the crankshaft. Interesting part is that it is friction mounted. So the nut which goes on the end of the crankshaft should be in the right torque! Nut also holds multirib pulley in place.

005b_small_wearing_117000km.jpg

This is a little over 115 000 km used timing sprocket from other end of camshaft.

I also fitted a new oil pan, with a drain plug in it. No picture of it, sorry!

014_Oops1

During reassembly I had at least two oops-moment. The first was when I fitted pistons back to engine. I forgot to remove that little nozzle which sprays oil to piston from underneath. Of course connecting rod got stuck to it and nozzle got severe damage. Luckily one member of the Facebook group I belong helped my to sort it out. On the right is obviously unbroken part.

015_oops2.jpg

Another oops-moment was when I was torqueing connector rod bolts. My torque wrench was out of calibration and I used too much force to that bolt and it snapped. When that happened I thought that game was over. How on earth I was gonna get that snapped bolt out from connecting rod? Further investigation revealed that it was not a big deal. The bolt came out with just turning it with fingers! Phew, that was a releaf! Actually, it did not went all the way off, it just stretched. The light is visible through bolt.. 🙂

010_Cylinder_Head_reconditioned2

Luckily I checked oil level regularly so engine did not run dry thus cylinder head was salvageable. It only needed new valve guides. I let a proper shop to do that.

009_Cylinder_Head_reconditioned

Another angle of the refurbished cylinder head.

 

011_In_It_Goes

Refurbished cylinder head in its place. Manouvering in space like this is really painful!

017_Poor_Scene

In the middle of the process..

The rest of the job was just a hard work. In the middle of reassembly I thought that maybe I have taken just a little too big bite. Eventually all went well and I have droven my Smart almost a thousand kilometers after that major engine overhaul!

008b_Spare_Parts

A box full of new spare parts. Worth of it is little over 1200€! In total I spend to this engine rebuilt about 1600€. Smart parts aint cheap.. So better keep my Smart in good condition from now on!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s